WHO Declares DR Congo Ebola Outbreak International Health Emergency
Last update: May 18, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

The World Health Organization has raised global concern over the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo after confirming the virus has now spread beyond the country’s borders.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, as fears grow over the spread of the deadly virus across borders, cbinews.tv reports.
According to the WHO, the outbreak in eastern DR Congo’s Ituri province has recorded about 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths so far. Health officials, however, say the situation has not yet reached the level of a global pandemic emergency.
The agency warned that the outbreak could be far bigger than what is currently being detected and reported, with a serious risk of local and regional transmission.
WHO said the current outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, a rare strain for which there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments.
Health experts say early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache and sore throat, before progressing to vomiting, diarrhoea, skin rash and in severe cases, bleeding.
The organization confirmed eight laboratory-tested cases so far, while suspected infections and deaths have been reported across Bunia and the mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara in Ituri province.
Authorities also confirmed one Ebola case in Kinshasa, the DR Congo capital, involving a patient who recently returned from Ituri.
The virus has now crossed into neighbouring Uganda, where two confirmed cases have been reported. Ugandan authorities said a 59-year-old Congolese man who died on Thursday tested positive for Ebola, adding that his body has already been returned to DR Congo.
Meanwhile, another confirmed Ebola case has been detected in the eastern city of Goma, an area currently under the control of M23 rebels.
#Ebola #DRCongo #WHO #Uganda #AfricaNews #HealthEmergency #PublicHealth #cbinewstv #BreakingNews

