Oyo School Abductions: Governors Ignored Security Warnings - Gani Adams
Last update: May 19, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

It’s a worrying claim shaking the South-West: traditional leader Gani Adams says repeated warnings about rising insecurity were left unanswered for years — until tragedy struck again in Oyo State.
According to reporting credited to cbinews.tv, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, has accused South-West governors of failing to act on multiple security proposals he says he has been raising for years, as kidnapping and banditry continue to spread across the region.
Speaking after the disturbing attack in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State — where gunmen stormed schools and abducted pupils, students and teachers, with a teacher later reportedly killed — Adams said the incident was “very sad and highly condemnable.”
On Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, he didn’t mince words, warning that the South-West can no longer afford to treat insecurity lightly.
He explained that while kidnappings had been happening in pockets across the region, the scale of the Oriire attack signals a dangerous shift.
“We have had a series of kidnappings in different states, but we have not witnessed mass kidnapping in Yorubaland,” he said, adding that the region “must prepare for this issue of insecurity.”
Adams also revealed that he had previously flagged what he described as infiltration by criminal groups in four South-West states — Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, and Oyo — as far back as November last year.
Beyond warnings, he said he also took formal steps by writing to South-West governors, urging stronger collaboration between governments and traditional and socio-cultural groups to improve security coordination.
But, according to him, those efforts went unanswered.
“I had written to the South-West governors… but for the past two years, they have not replied to me,” he claimed.
He added that several Yoruba organisations, including groups beyond the Oodua People’s Congress, were ready and willing to support government efforts if properly engaged.
Adams also questioned what he described as silence from key stakeholders despite rising insecurity, saying it is frustrating that some still blame him for worsening conditions even though he has no direct control over security agencies.
The latest attack occurred last Friday when armed men invaded Esiele community in Oriire LGA, targeting Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and LGEA Primary School, abducting staff and pupils in a coordinated assault that has sparked renewed fears across the region.
#OyoState #SouthWestNigeria #GaniAdams #InsecurityInNigeria #SchoolAbductions #NigeriaSecurity #BreakingNews #CBINews #YorubaLand #Oriire #Banditry

