Nigeria-U.S. Airstrikes Kill 175 ISIS Fighters, Top ISWAP Commanders Eliminated — DHQ
Last update: May 19, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

Nigeria’s military says a series of joint operations with the United States has dealt a major blow to ISIS-linked terrorists in the North-East, with 175 fighters and several top ISWAP commanders reportedly killed.
The Nigerian military has announced that joint operations with the United States have killed at least 175 ISIS fighters in Nigeria’s North-East, in what officials describe as one of the most significant counterterrorism offensives in recent months, cbinews.tv reports.
In a statement released on Tuesday and signed by the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, the Defence Headquarters said the coordinated airstrikes inflicted a “devastating blow” on terrorist networks operating in the region.
According to the military, several strategic terrorist hideouts and operational targets were destroyed during the offensive.
The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) also confirmed the casualty figure, with AFRICOM commander General Dagvin Anderson praising Nigeria’s role in the operation during a Congressional hearing in Washington.
Anderson said Nigerian authorities played a major part in identifying targets, gathering intelligence and supporting the mission.
One of the biggest breakthroughs from the operation was the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, an ISIS leader described by officials as one of the world’s most active terrorists.
Al-Minuki was reportedly killed during a joint strike on a remote village in North-East Nigeria over the weekend.
According to both the Nigerian military and AFRICOM, the slain terrorist oversaw ISIS global operations, including media coordination, financing and the production of weapons, explosives and drones.
Following the announcement, President Bola Tinubu thanked U.S. President Donald Trump for what he described as his “leadership and unwavering support” in the fight against terrorism.
Tinubu also expressed hope for “more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation”.
The military further disclosed that other high-profile ISWAP commanders were also killed during the operations.
Among them was Abd-al Wahhab, identified as a senior ISWAP leader responsible for coordinating attacks and spreading propaganda.
Others included Abu Musa al-Mangawi, described as a top-ranking ISWAP figure, and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, said to be a senior media production manager and close associate of al-Minuki.
General Anderson confirmed that “several key ISIS leaders” were eliminated in the offensive.
The latest development comes amid renewed violence in parts of Northern Nigeria, where Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters have intensified attacks on villages, security formations, farmers, fishermen and local communities.
The growing insecurity reportedly pushed President Tinubu to declare a nationwide state of emergency earlier in 2025.
Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly claimed that Christians in Nigeria are facing persecution and “genocide” by terrorists — claims that the Nigerian government and many analysts strongly reject, insisting that both Christians and Muslims are victims of extremist violence.
The U.S. military had earlier carried out airstrikes in Sokoto State on Christmas Day last year, targeting what Washington described as jihadist elements operating in the region.
Northern Nigeria continues to battle insecurity from both insurgents and armed bandit groups known for deadly attacks and mass kidnappings for ransom.
#Nigeria #AFRICOM #ISWAP #BokoHaram #Terrorism #NigerianMilitary #Tinubu #DonaldTrump #SecurityNews #NorthEastNigeria #cbinewstv

