Nigeria Files Cybercrime Charges Against El-Rufai
Last update: February 16, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

El-Rufia faces trial for saying he and others listened to NSA Nuhu Ribadu's conversation...
The Nigerian Government has filed criminal charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai, according to court documents seen on Monday.
The charge, marked C2/99/2026 and dated Feb. 16, 2026, lists the Federal Republic of Nigeria as complainant and El-Rufai as defendant.
According to the documents, the prosecution alleged that on Feb. 13, 2026, while appearing on Prime Time, a programme on Arise TV, El-Rufai admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
In count one, the government said the alleged admission constituted an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count two alleged that El-Rufai stated during the same interview that he knew and associated with individuals who unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s phone communications but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.
The third count alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026 in Abuja, used technical equipment or systems to unlawfully intercept the National Security Adviser’s phone communications, an act the prosecution said compromised public safety and national security, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
El-Rufai has previously denied wrongdoing in separate matters and has accused the federal government of political persecution.

