Discover Bold African Stories

Watch exclusive films, series, and documentaries on CBI Prime — COMING SOON!!!

CBI News
  • Home
  • world
  • news
  • business
  • Live TV
  • Podcasts
  • Entertainment
SHARE
Home>Maryland Man Sentenced to Life for Murder of Nigerian Boxer
News

Maryland Man Sentenced to Life for Murder of Nigerian Boxer

Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

Maryland Man Sentenced to Life for Murder of Nigerian Boxer

Nicholas Giroux sentenced to life plus 20 years for killing nigerian boxer.

A Maryland man, Nicholas Francis Giroux, 37, has been sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years for the 2024 killing of Nigerian boxer Isaiah Olugbemi in Anne Arundel County.

CBI News reports that Giroux, of Odenton, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in February 2025 and was sentenced on August 26, 2025.

“Mr. Olugbemi was a father and rising star in amateur boxing,” said Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess after the sentencing.

“This was a cruel and senseless murder that took the life of someone with great promise. The callousness and lack of remorse on the part of this Defendant is really disturbing. He deserves this sentence. And to the family and friends of Mr. Olugbemi, I hope that today provides some sense of justice for this terrible ordeal.”

Police said Olugbemi, 27, was shot multiple times on June 17, 2024, in the 500 block of Meadowmist Way, Odenton.

Surveillance video showed Giroux firing repeatedly until the boxer fell to the ground, before shooting him three more times.

Just two weeks earlier, Giroux had reportedly confronted Olugbemi and a neighbor during a backyard cookout, brandishing a gun but avoiding arrest since he did not directly point it at anyone.

Police said Giroux later confessed to the murder during questioning on June 18, 2024.

Olugbemi, who trained at a local gym in Anne Arundel County, had been preparing to turn professional after a string of successes.

CBI News recalls that he won the National Golden Gloves Championship in Washington, D.C., in May 2024 and another amateur fight just a week before his death.

Gym owner Jim Hook recalled his last exchange with the boxer: “The last text I sent to him was right after he won the fight, and I was like, ‘I’m so proud of you, you accomplished your dreams, man, congratulations.’”

Posted by · Last updated: August 30, 2025

More Read

Must Read


- Advertisement -

ad3

You might also like