Iran in Talks with FIFA to Shift 2026 World Cup Matches to Mexico Amid US Security Fears
Last update: May 19, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

Big World Cup drama brewing already! Iran could be set to move its tournament fixtures out of the United States over safety concerns, with Mexico now emerging as a possible alternative host.
Iran’s football federation is reportedly in discussions with FIFA about relocating its 2026 World Cup matches from the United States to Mexico, citing security concerns for its players.
According to cbinews.tv, Iranian FA president Mehdi Taj said the move became necessary after tensions escalated following joint US and Israeli air strikes on Iran. The situation has raised doubts over Iran’s participation in matches scheduled on US soil.
US President Donald Trump had earlier said Iran was welcome to take part in the tournament, but suggested it may not be safe for them to play in the United States “for their own life and safety”.
Responding to the situation, Taj was quoted via the Iranian embassy in Mexico’s X account saying:
“When Trump has explicitly stated that he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America. We are negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran’s World Cup matches in Mexico.”
FIFA, however, has not confirmed any change, with a spokesperson saying the governing body remains in regular contact with all participating nations as planning continues for the 2026 tournament across the US, Canada, and Mexico.
Meanwhile, Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has indicated her country would be willing to host Iran’s fixtures if FIFA approves the request.
Iran qualified for the tournament after topping their qualifying group, and are set to face Belgium, Egypt, and New Zealand in Group G. Their matches were originally scheduled for venues in Los Angeles and Seattle.
If approved, the switch would mark a major logistical shift for the tournament, though FIFA has previously adjusted fixtures for security and political reasons in rare cases.
However, if the proposal is rejected, questions remain over whether Iran would still travel to the United States to compete.
#WorldCup2026 #IranFootball #FIFA #Mexico #USA #FootballNews #SoccerNews #SportsUpdate #InternationalFootball #cbinewsTV

