Ebola Risk Alert: WHO Says Outbreak High in Africa but Low Globally
Last update: May 20, 2026
Disclaimer: This website may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. We only recommend products or services that we personally use and believe will add value to our readers. Your support is appreciated!

The World Health Organisation has flagged concern over the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, warning of serious regional risks while reassuring that the global threat remains low.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has given an update on the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and while the situation is worrying locally, it’s not being seen as a global emergency just yet.
Speaking from Geneva, WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said the risk level is currently high at national and regional levels, but still low worldwide. In simple terms, the outbreak is serious in parts of Africa, but not expected to spread globally at this stage.
So far, 51 confirmed cases have been recorded in eastern DRC, particularly in Ituri and North Kivu. However, WHO officials believe the real number could be much higher, with hundreds of suspected cases already under investigation.
Tedros also revealed that Uganda has reported two confirmed cases in Kampala, including one death. In another worrying development, a US national working in the DRC tested positive and has been transferred to Germany for treatment.
According to WHO, there are also around 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, and those figures may still rise as the outbreak likely began weeks or even months before it was detected.
An emergency committee chaired by Lucille Blumberg reviewed the situation and confirmed that while it meets the threshold for a public health emergency of international concern, it does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency.
WHO technical officer Anais Legand added that investigations are ongoing to trace how long the virus has been circulating, but the priority right now is breaking transmission chains through contact tracing, isolation, and treatment.
The outbreak has also sparked political commentary. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio criticised the WHO, suggesting it was “a little late” in responding. Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has previously been critical of the organisation, particularly over its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Responding to such claims, Tedros pushed back, saying critics may misunderstand how international health regulations work, stressing that the WHO supports countries rather than replaces them during outbreaks.
For now, WHO says the situation is being closely monitored, with efforts focused on containment before the virus spreads further.
Attribution: cbinews.tv
#Ebola #WHO #HealthAlert #DRC #PublicHealth #OutbreakNews #AfricaHealth #GlobalHealth #ViralOutbreak #BreakingNews #CBINewstv

